Friday, April 1, 2011

Sew much FUN!

Sorry for the blurry photo, it's all Martha's fault. 

 I'm going to be completely honest with you here,  I really don't know what I'm doing with a sewing machine. I have probably mentioned that a time or ten.  However, I have fallen in LOVE with this reversible purse for my girls.  Although I'm thinking they will use it as an overnight bag.  I think it's just ADORABLE, I'm in love with the asymetrical handle!  It adds just enough FUNK!

The extent of my sewing knowledge is slim. Basically it would fit in a thimble! (HA!)  I usually leave the stitching to paper projects.  I Love to sew on scrap book pages or tags for presents.  I've got the sewing on them down pat!  Part of the reason is on paper it's kinda cool to be a bit messy so that the project has that "homemade" feel to it.  I'm thinking that messy sewing is all I can accomplish and it may not look so cool on an actual project!  Regardless, I'm taking the girls to the fabric store to pick out 2 fabrics each.  Sewing the banner for Peyton's party really got me in the sewing mood.    Stay tuned to see how bad I can mess up this project!  I'm sure Martha won't be pleased.  Her directions are below...
EDIT:  Fabric choices are at the end of the post.  I decided I wanted to make one for myself too!  The fabric was so hard to resist!

This simple reversible purse is a wonderful project for beginning and advanced sewers alike.
Tools and Materials
Bag template
Heavy paper or cardstock
1/2 yard of patterned fabric
1/2 yard of solid fabric
Pencil
Fabric scissors
Pins
Sewing machine
Coordinating machine-sewing thread
Iron
Needle and thread for basting stitch
Reversible Purse How-To


1. Download, enlarge, and print template on heavy paper or card stock. Trace template twice on each fabric and cut out.
2. Align and pin the two solid pieces together, right sides facing. Do the same with the two patterned pieces.
3. Using 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew along the top of each handle and along the bottom curve of each pinned piece, leaving both sides of both handles open.
4. Turn the solid piece right side out, and insert the solid piece into the inside-out patterned piece. Line up seams, raw edges, and handles.
5. Pin the edges of the "neckline" of the bag and sew with a 1/4-inch seam.
6. Going through the longer handle, turn the entire bag right side out (patterned fabric on the outside). Press all seams.
7. Fold raw edges of "armholes" in 1/4 inch and press. Baste together. Topstitch 1/8 inch around bag handles to finish.


Read more at Marthastewart.com: Reversible Purse - Martha Stewart Crafts

I couldn't resist this pretty botanical print Callie showed me, that's when I decided I needed a bag too!

Callie chose this HAPPY bright stripe and pink polka dots


Peyton picked this pretty pink, white and grey floral and the light pink polka dot as her contrast.  It's funny because this pink polka dot fabric is one I used for her table runner and banner at her sweet shoppe party!


10 comments:

Susan said...

Great looking bag! Lucky girls!
I know what you mean about sewing.
I sort of feel the same way. It has always felt a little awkward, but I dream of sewing beautiful handmade creations! (I really think it's not enough practice for me!) I will look forward to seeing your finished projects!
Blessings!

It's me said...

Happy friday darling....love Ria...xxx....great bag !!!...xxx...

June said...

Robyn I know it will turn out beautifully. Good luck!
Have a great weekend.

My Cottage Charm said...

YOU can do it, I BELIEVE in YOU! :) Wish I lived closer, I'd come give you sewing lessons. "Sewing 101 with Missy"!LOL Can't wait to see how you do! I'm tellin' ya, you can do it!
Love ya much!
Hey, we need some girl chat time soon!
:)
Missy

oldgreymare said...

Reading through the directions it may seem confusing but if you just try it exactly as written I find it works out.

Marttha;s sewing patterns aren't always the best to understand...

You'll do great, cannot wait to see it. I am heading over to link to check it out. thanks

xx
z

Unknown said...

I love your pattern selections. So chic! Chic Rooms

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

Howj very cute. Love their fabric choices.

Manni said...

Robyn, this looks really fun!! I love it, I can not wait to try this out. Thanks so much for sharing :)
have a great weekend
hugs
Manni

Natasha Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natasha Johnson said...

i know this post was a long time ago but do you know the name or deginer of the pink and grey fabric that is in the last photo?