Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Molding, New Photo Of The Day and other New Aspirations

I don't need to tell you that I've been neglecting my blog. You probably know that. But that ends today.  You know just like how my diet starts tomorrow, right?   Okay, on to something more interesting.






We've got these twin 15 year olds who have a lot of 15-17 year old friends.  We want them to hang at our house.  Yeah, maybe we are a bit on the crazy side. BUT...you KNOW where your kids are when you hear them cackling like fools in the other room or see random kids getting junk food out of your pantry or even when a few kids come in asking if they can use some of your russet potatoes and aluminum foil to cook on the fire that they made in your fire pit.  (oh, BTW, NOT not having run on sentences is not one of my new year resolutions) (I'm famous in my own mind for them, actually)  Problem with having all these teens in our house is that we do NOT have a basement we can lock them in.  Which is probably a good idea because I'm not really sure I want all those 15-17 year olds deep down in a basement behind closed doors where we might forget they are there.  So, we have decided to make our living room a bit more teen friendly but NOT look like a college dorm room. Plus we already have some furniture that is more on the formal side and it is not really in the budget to add new furniture to the budget and as usual, we have to do this on a teeny tiny little ol' budget but we have gotten used to that.  Plus that's what a Home Depot credit card is for. Right?  First things first...I need to give you some background info on our home.


We have one of those cookie cutter houses that a big portion of middle America has from what I hear.  You know, the kind where sometimes family members occasionally pull into the house 4 houses down because it looks just like your house. (We HAVE fixed that to some degree, thank GOODNESS!  We now have a pretty little portico and the only carriage-style garage doors on the block!)  That cookie cutter-ness used to flow right inside too.  Our home came with itty bitty baseboards and no window trim other than a slim little window sill.  We have slowly been changing that over the years.  Admittedly we are molding addicted and get giddy over the oodles of molding in older homes. The living room and the study are the last two rooms on our first floor that do not have the windows trimmed out.  But, that's a-changing my friends!  Matt has already put up the crown molding and he's put in lovely large window sills too.  He is now working on the window surrounds and the pediments!  I'm so excited about how they're looking!  Ignore the current wall color, it never was correct.  When they "color-matched" it to the paint chip from our foyer I think their computer had color blindness or the flu.  I've already picked out the color for the walls but I'm going to keep that a secret a bit longer.  I have to keep you coming back now that I'm BACK on the blogging train!


One other little tidbit.  I'm going to TRY really really hard to do a photo a day.  I've always admired the people who do that.  It sounds like a cool way to chronicle your year or something like that.  It's not always going to be a artsy photo that I took time to compose and light and stuff. I just hope to actually get it done and posted. Let's start with that, 'kay?  Today's photo is a sweet little pic of Cosmo's paw.  He's laying on the little bench in my reading nook as I'm typing this.  My camera is sitting right here, so that's what you get today!  You can see a little bit of the bench in the photo of the family room window. (OHHH, and do you see that fabulous antique hay wagon there in the corner?  My Dad got me that for Christmas as a surprise!) If you want to see the entire nook where I blog, it's over there on the right under the most popular posts.  It's one of Cosmo's absolutely favorite places to sleep. :-)

7 comments:

awal.ny said...

Welcome back. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I have to agree with you about the molding, very important. All of the basic new builds only have molding in the main living room, dinning room and master bed room. My husband and I built our own home and I wanted it to be a lot like my parents home and his grandparents home. Molding everywhere, even in the closets. I love what you have done so far.

tinajo said...

Love that paw! Will be fun to follow you now when you´re ready to blog along, sometimes life has to come in between. :-)

It's me said...

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar !!!....ik hoop dat al je dromen mogen uitkomen......Liefs Ria...xxx...


Happy New Year !!!...I hope all your dreams may come true....Love Ria....xxx.....

Susan said...

Happy New Year, Robyn!
Blessings!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Your finished windows look great, so I'm sure the new ones will, too. Gorgeous, actually!
Happy New Year!

Mark Norkaitis said...

love your blog! your newist follower!
Mark @ room363

Zane Wooder said...

I love the picture of the dog's paw. Most dogs feet are so cute. I'd be careful and not have to many kids that age in your house. Things can get broken.


-Zane of ontario honey